Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Titles

OK, the only reason I titled this blog "Titles" is because of the poem below. You should understand in just a second... or not... I don't know. Maybe, but then again, maybe not...

Oh, who cares, just read the poem.


Titles are pointless.
They serve no purpose.
Cliche and cheesy,
boring and draggy,
titles just bore a reader.
Titles discourage people,
and make them put down a piece.
They are too short,
and too simple,
too plain and flavorless.
Because they're no fun,
titles are just dumb.
OK, I know that if you write a title right, then it should pull the reader in, but the way I see it, titles are just a sneek peek at what you are about to read. If a person really is interested, then they should just read the piece. I don't think that people need to be treated like babies and have to be encouraged to read something. It's like when you parent tells you to do something. When you're young, you don't understand that you're probably going to get in trouble for not doing what you were told to do. But once you get older, you know what to expect, you know what's coming. I just think it's pretty dumb to treat older people like that. And so, for my reading teacher, I will say this:
The significance in this poem is that people these days don't know how to properly create a title, and therefore no longer serve any point at all. If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time, not the second, because by then, you have already ruined it.
Are you happy Mr. R?

5 comments:

  1. Part 1

    Well, I don't know where to start. I confess that I thought about using some sort of alias to hide behind in my response. But, I'll face your challenges head on, fearlessly. Ok, maybe not fearlessly, but I'll try not to let you see my shaky knees. I also have to apologize for taking so long to respond. The 'Titles' thing I was ready to jump all over. It was your final question, "Are you happy Mr. R?" that threw me. I've had to really give that some thought. Like, what does she mean am I happy? Do I look unhappy? Or, maybe I've been ornery, like one of those 'older people'? Possibly, it's the joy I get from challenging young upstarts like you in one of our frequent verbal battles. Anyway, I've decided to keep working on my understanding of my happiness and finally turn my attention to your comments about 'Titles'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2


    First, I think you need more homework so that you don't have to worry about such things. On the other hand, I know that won't stop you, you are who you are. So...titles. I hope you've never been the victim of a 'Title' and your comments just reflect a youthful inquisitiveness. Assuming that's the case, I guess I agree that titles can be a 'hint' of what's to come, some sort of encouragement to read on. Kind of like seeing an interesting person across a crowded room and deciding to check them out further. I also agree that most people shouldn't have to be encouraged to read on (I really don't see any need to drag older people into this. We have enough problems!) I would prefer to think of it as people wanting to read because of their insatiable curiosity, and in a world full of things clamoring (look it up) for our attention, sometimes it helps to have a little advertising that gets us to come inside and look around. Kind of like a sign above a storefront. How do we decide where to shop? Usually, it's either because someone recommended it, or we're intrigued by what we see and decide to investigate further. Titles can do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 3


    But, I also think 'Titles' are also intended to be memorable. I want to remember what I've read. As I think about it I can refer to it by it's name, "Mike Mulligan' and not 'that story with the steam shovel that loses it's job and searches with her friend for some place to belong and...well, you get it it. Also, as I read more and more I need to keep track of it all. So 'Title's can help me do that. Kind of of a sorting or file system I guess. As I read stories I need some sort of reference to identify my collection of readings.

    Titles can also offer intrigue. A glimpse at some plot mystery or key issue reflecting suspense within a plot. That too can tease a reader into a story and prompt them to dive in, searching for an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part 4


    Another way to use titles is as some sort of insight into what an author is thinking, a porthole into their intentions. I see this a lot with poetry. I think of Langston Hughes' Words like Freedom. Finally, I've come across a 'newer' writing form that uses the title as part of the story. I know you're familar with 6-word stories, but these are stories of 25 words or less. Here's the story, then I'll give you the title. Here goes...

    Sleeping Beauty never minded the needle prick. It was the wake up kiss she minded.

    The title? Insomnia

    note - Insomnia is the persistent inability to fall asleep.

    Make sense? You should try creating one and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 5


    I confess that we haven't given 'Titles' the attention they deserve. We'll try and rectify (look it up) it in the months to come. In my defense we're also planning on doing MUCH more with writing projects (even revisiting and revising some older pieces) and independent Language Arts projects in the months after state tests. Yes, even this blogging thing.

    May I close by saying how much I enjoy your writing and the thinking that takes place before you write. You get it. You don't write because it's been assigned in school, you write because you have something to say. You are communicating thoughts and feelings. That's what people are looking for, that's what changes the world. Keep putting pen to paper....er, finger to keyboard, and push people to think and react. You are stuck, you are a writer. Write on!

    mr. R

    ReplyDelete